The official drink of the Kentucky Derby, a Mint Julep is both refreshing and easy to make. It should only ever be made with Bourbon, and to make it properly you’re going to need a muddler.
Taste: Like a Mojito, but American
Feel: Cool and refreshing
Glass: Tall 12 ounce glass (or a Julep Tin if you have one)
- Fresh Mint
- Sugar (or Simple Syrup)
- Crushed Ice
- Add five (give or take) leaves of fresh mint in the bottom of your chilled glass.
- Add one teaspoon sugar on top of the leaves.
- Crush the mint (enough to extract flavor but you don’t need to obliterate them) with the middler.
- Pack the glass with crushed ice.
- Pour three ounces of Bourbon over the ice.
- Stir until the glass goes frosty.
- Add more ice to fill the glass and garnish with a sprig of mint on top.
That’s it. Another classic cocktail with a focus on the whiskey. There are ways you can increase the amount of mint flavor in this cocktail, but it’s important to appreciate the beauty of simplicity when dealing with cocktails.